Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Proposition 8

I'm usually not the one to be open about by political standing on my blog, but it is time to be heard.  It has to be said that for a member of the church I have more of a liberal point of view compared to the majority of the church.  When it comes to Proposition 8, I know all hell is about to break lose


Basically, the proposition will allow homosexuals to have the rights they've desired for a long time.  Especially, the right to be legally recognized.  I believe that people deserve that right.  I do.  BUT the But of all BUTS is...... Do you know what proposition 8 will d to families and religion besides let homosexuals be recognized?

That takes away any churches right to be tax exempted.  It takes away any churches opportunity to have a private adoption agency.  It makes members be married civilly so that we can later on be married in the temple, or any homosexual couple could sue the church for not allowing them to be married in the temple as well.  They can sue a Bishop for not wanting to perform the marriage ceremony for a homosexual couple.

When I say this effects churches, I'm not just talking about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Do you know a non-lds religious kindergartner went to school in Massachusetts and came home with pamphlets on the acceptance of homosexuality?  The parents of this child were furious and complained to the school district that they weren't warned about these teaching by a permission slip.  The school district told them that they didn't have to ask the parents for permission, because they had the right to do that.  They also told the parent that he DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW what his kid was learning or teachers are teaching? The parent ended up in jail fighting for his right to know what his kids are learning and to be notified when his kids may be learning a sensitive subject like sex-ed.  

Do you not agree that this man has the right to know what his innocent 5 year old is learning from his professor at school?  Do you not agree that that this country was formed on religious freedom or the separation of religion and government? Our teachers need to teach equality.  They need to teach respect for all people, race or gender.  I truly believe that.  We all need to respect each other.  I respect homosexuality, but that doesn't mean that they need to take MY religious rights away through this proposition.

4 comments:

Stephanie Hatzenbuehler said...

You go, girl.

Clark said...

Check out this website for another look at the Prop 8 initiative: http://mormonsformarriage.com/?p=33

Couple key points.

The LDS church would not loose their their tax exempt status because of discrimination. The church already discriminates and has not lost tax exempt status.

LDS family services can continue to discriminate based on religion. They currently only place babies with temple recommend holding couples.

Bishops do not have to marry anyone nor do churches have to allow wedding ceremonies. They currently can deny marrying people and churches are private property and therefore forbid entrance.

I just thought these points needed to be mentioned. This is about the most unbiased website I have found.

Sermons of the Day said...

Hey Kim it's your cousin Nicole. Thanks for putting this out there. love to learn all I can and some of these points I was not clear on. Your looking great! And by the way, I love your oppinion so stick to what you know to be right!!!!!!

Megan said...

Kim, I totally hear you. Arizona has the same thing on their ballot this time around, Prop. 102. It's funny that I've always considered myself a left-leaning conservative, but the older I get the more conservative I realize I am, especially when my children are effected.

Like you, I don't really mind homosexuality. It's not my favorite thing in the world and there are wonderful people who are homosexual, but if these propositions are passed, we're looking at our government and society to be changing a ton.

I'm a little torn up because I feel like there are certain societal rights I think homosexual couples should be given but I don't think they should be recognized in marriages. Why? Because for someone like myself, homosexuality is a religious issue and quite frankly, a marriage between two people of the same gender is not smiled-upon by God. This certainly isn't my only argument, but it is what it comes down to for me, regardless of how confused I get. And for those who think I'm weak-minded or ignorant, I feel like I'm quite head-strong if I can believe faithfully enough in something to make me act upon it and what is there to be ignorant of? The fact that these couples love each other? They whole-heartedly want to be married? They may be born this way? No, I'm not ignorant, I just don't agree.