Thursday, January 31, 2008

AWKWARD!!

I knew there would be awkwardness in the transition of leaving the mission and coming back to the world, but I thought I would be able to avoid it. For the most part I'm doing quite well for return misisonaries. I got off the plane with a big smile and gave girls and GUYS hugs. That wasn't a problem. I could speak in english pretty well, with portuguese slipping out every once in a while. My second day home I actually left my house and hung out with friends. That could be a very big step for most return missionaries. I also went to the grocery store, and my mom left the aisle, and I only freaked out for a minor second. Some don't achieve this step until after a 2 week period. I know I did a lot better them my brother. When he came home from Brazil, he wrapped himself in his Brazilian flag while listening to Brazilian music and sobbed for 2 weeks straight.

I was pretty proud of myself until last weekend arrived. I was getting a little squirmy and my friend Garrett the Farrett and I decided to go to the insitute dance. Institute dances never excited me too much. We got there and the first thing that freaked me out was a bunch of 18, 19 year olds that I didn't recognize. After a minute of making the rounds, I ran ito some old friends of mine that freaked out and gave me hugs. I was still doing good until this point. Then, without warning Garrett the Farrett left me. This was where I had my minor brakedown looking for Garrett. He returned shortly, but I thought life was over for a second.

So, I am a semi-normal return missionary, but the big group social scene freaked me out. I'm not excited for the next institute activity, and not just because it is in Pocatello, but I've lost social skills and I want them back.

1 comments:

Stacy said...

That suck's Kim. I wish I knew how you felt. I'm sure life will get a lot better. You will have to help Zach when he gets home. I love you Cous! Stacy