Thursday, February 7, 2008

Old Jack

All those that know Jack at L&K will enjoy this story. So, after being for home for a couple of days I went a little crazy, because I had nothing to do. I wanted to get a job, but it would be really hard to get a job and then ask to take a week off to visit my sister, Ref, that lives in Maine. So, after thinking long and hard I accepted to take the job as warehouse manager at my parents store. Jack is the current warehouse manager. He has been here since 1998. He is OCD with keeping everything in its place and organized. He says he doesn't like dealing with us "young punks," but secretly deep down I know he loves working with us like it makes him a little bit younger then he really is. He always keeps to himself and every once in a while will make a sarcastic remark to make fun of you.

So, I have spent the last week going to work between 7:30-8:00 and hanging out with Jack all day as he tells me what to do and then makes fun of me because I do it wrong. Oh, by the way I am also OCD for keeping things orderly and clean. Yesterday, Jack and I were going through inventory correcting all the mistakes that Jared and Brad make on a dailey basis. Out of no where

I say, "Jack I can't take it anymore!"
Jack shockingly responds, "What?"

Then I just got up and left in search of cleaning products. I got back with an arms full of paper towels and cleaning solution.

Wide eyed Jack saw me and said, "Oh, no!" I responded with, "Oh, yes! We are going to clean off this disgusting desk."

Now, I told you that Jack was organized, but in the last 10 years, Jack has not wiped off his desk one time. There are old spilled liquid stains, all the keys on his computer's white keyboard are
black because filth that I had built up, and there was about a 1/2 inch layer of dust on everything. I started removing the objects off the desk and wiping things down. All Jack did was look at me and say, "You ruined it, and it will never work the same again." He's a funny old guy. We're having a good time hanging out back in the dungeon warehouse. We only have a couple more weeks together and Jack is going to retire, and I'm a little scared to work back there without Old Jack with me.